It’s the season for Pumpkin Spice everything! And these Pumpkin Spice Cut Out Sugar Cookies are such a fun addition to your menu.
You get to decide how elaborate you want to get with decorating these pumpkin cookies. You can make different colored pumpkins, or add words or sayings like “Thankful”, “Fall”, etc. If you want to decorate them like the ones pictured, follow along with the icing recipe and see how it’s done.
3 1/4 C flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 C unsalted sweet cream butter, softened
2/3 C sugar
1/3 C brown sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 canned pumpkin puree
Cookie cutter: pumpkin
Cookie Icing Ingredients:
3 egg whites
2 C powder sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp cream of tarter
Orange and Green gel food coloring
3 disposable piping bags with a number 2 tip and number 66 tip
1 squeeze bottle
1. In a large mixing bowl, add flour, baking powder and spices, using a whisk to combine. Set aside.
2. Using a standing mixer, beat the butter until creamy.
3. Add both sugar and brown sugar and beat until combined.
4. Add egg, vanilla, and pumpkin puree, and beat to combined, making sure to scrape down the sides of your bowl.
5. While the mixer is running on low, add the flour mixture, slowly. Mix until all of the flour is combined.
6. Place dough into a bowl and cover with foil. Place into the fridge overnight.
7. Next day, pull out dough and let stand until soft.
8. Preheat oven to 325 degrees
9. Lightly flour surface on a cutting board and roll dough out to 2-3 inches thick
10. Add parchment paper onto a cookie sheet.
11. Cut out shapes and place dough onto sheet.
12. Bake for 9 minutes or until lightly golden brown
Cookie Icing Directions:
1. Using a standing mixer, combine the egg whites, powder sugar, vanilla, and cream of tarter and mix until stiff peaks form.
2. Split the icing into two bowls
3. Add a little bit of food coloring into each bowl. One color per bowl.
4. Scoop a little bit of the orange icing into one piping bag with a number 2 tip and the green icing into the other piping bag and number 66 tip
5. Add 3 tbsp water into the remaining orange icing and mix until combined
6. Pour icing into the squeeze bottle
7. Using the orange icing in the piping bag, outline the cookies
8. Fill in the middle part of the cookie and let dry for an hour
9. Fill in the side parts of the cookies and let dry for 2 hours before piping on the steam and leafs
10. Once dry, using the green icing in the number 2 tip, pipe on the steam and vine on the cookie
11. Using the number 66 tip, pipe on the leaves.
12. Let dry for an hour before enjoying!