You’ve gotta try these colorful donuts!
Want to make the best treat for your kids? Sure, you could open a package of cookies or throw down something from the bakery. But that’s not going to get you A+ status as a mom.
Whether there’s a milestone to celebrate or you just want to do something extra to show your love, the best way is to make a special treat.
Before you worry that you’ve got too much on your plate, it takes such little time to throw these colorful donuts on their plates that you’ll only wish you did it sooner.
What bakery did these come from? Everyone will want to know where they can buy them. And you can smugly tell them you whipped them up all yourself. Take that, mean moms!
Colorful donuts are the perfect treat for birthday parties, bake sales, sleepovers, or really any time. Best of all, they take less than 45 minutes. If you start now, you’ll save the day by coloring their world!
What You Will Need for Rainbow Unicorn Colorful Donuts
- Ground cinnamon
- Baking powder
- Kosher salt
- Whole milk
- Large egg
- Vanilla extract
- Canola oil
- Piping bags
- Funfetti sprinkles
- Icing – Make it from powdered sugar, corn syrup, clear vanilla extract, and milk.
- Gel food coloring – Get them in purple, sky blue, neon green, neon yellow, and pink.
- Squeeze bottles
- Small bowls – For mixing the food coloring with the frosting to make all those fun colors!
Make Your Own Colorful Donuts
We’ll start by saying that if you want to make colorful donuts, you need a donut pan.
Get it prepped and then whisk the flour, cinnamon, sugar, baking powder, and salt together in a small bowl.
Use a large bowl to whisk the egg, milk, vanilla, and oil together. You’ll then fold those Funfetti sprinkles in.
Add the dry stuff to the wet stuff and whisk together. Then put this batter into a piping bag and fill the donut pan with each one about ¾ full. These will bake for 12 minutes.
You’ll want to remove them immediately onto a wire rack. Pro tip: set a cookie sheet under that wire rack so it catches the frosting and keeps from making a mess.
As the donuts cool, you will make your icing by whisking all those ingredients in a large bowl. Too thick? Add a little milk and adjust the consistency.
Now, put the frosting into the bowls and drip the food coloring into each bowl to make different colors. You’ll put them into piping bags and frost. The photos below along with the steps will be your guide.
Once all is done with the icing, you need to let them harden up for about 20 minutes. If you start this before the kids get off the bus, this treat of colorful donuts will be ready for them!
Makes 6 donuts
Prep time: 15 minutes
Bake time : 12 minutes Decorating time : 30 minutes
Ingredients For Donuts:
-1 C flour
-1⁄4 tsp ground cinnamon
-1⁄4 C sugar
-1 tsp baking powder
-1⁄2 tsp kosher salt
-5 tbsp whole milk
-1 large egg
-1⁄2 tsp pure vanilla extract 3 tbsp canola oil
-1 large piping bag
-1 C bright funfetti sprinkles
Ingredients Vanilla Icing
-4 C powdered sugar
-4 tbsp corn syrup
-3 tsp clear vanilla extract
-1/2 C milk, plus more to thin the icing if need to
-Purple, Sky Blue, Neon Green, Neon Yellow, Pink gel food coloring -5 squeeze bottles
-2 disposable piping bags
-5 small bowls to mix the dye the donut icing
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a donut pan with baking spray.
2. Using a small bowl, whisk the flour, ground cinnamon, sugar, baking powder and salt.
3. In a large bowl, whisk the milk, egg, vanilla and oil until combined.
4. Fold in the funfetti sprinkles.
5. Whisk in the dry ingredients until combined and smooth.
6. Scoop the batter into the piping bag and fill the donut cavity 3⁄4 way full.
7. Bake in the oven for 12 minutes.
8. Instantly remove from oven and turn the pan over onto a wire rack and allow to cool.
9. Place a small cookie sheet under the wire rack to easily clean up the donut icing
Donut Icing Directions
1. Whisk all ingredients in a large bowl until combined and smooth.
(If your icing is thick, whisk in 2 tbsp of milk until the icing is thinner, so it can drizzle on your donut.)
2. Scoop 1⁄2 C of frosting into each bowl.
-You will have left over frosting in the large bowl which you will need to mix a darker purple and a darker pink for the spots on the donut.
3. Drop at least 2 drops of each food coloring color into 1 bowl each.
Mix until fully combined and colored, pour the icing into their own squeeze bottles.
4. Next, scoop 1⁄4 C of icing into the purple and pink bowls
Mix in at least 4-5 drops of the purple and pink food coloring into their respective bowls
Mix until combined, then scoop the purple and pink into their own piping bags and set aside
5. Starting with the purple icing, pour it over 1 side of the donut and let the icing drip over the donut
6. Using the blue icing, pour it over a small section of the donut next to the purple icing
7. Using the green icing, pour it over a section of the middle of the donut like shown below.
8. Repeat step with the yellow and the pink icing
Allow the icing to set for 10 minutes
9. Cut the tip off the dark pink piping bag and pipe different size spots all over the donuts to make it look like leopard spots
10. Cut the tip off the purple piping bag and pipe lines around the spots
Allow the icing to harden for 20 minutes before enjoying!