Our family makes sugar cookies every year. But this year, we’re mixing it up and making some chocolate brownie sugar cookies too! You can make any shape you’d like and have fun decorating just like your traditional sugar cookie.
We always love experimenting and finding our new favorite recipes, and this one was definitely one we had to try. I absolutely love chocolate and brownies… and mixing that together with sugar cookies?! You cannot go wrong!
Prep: 10 minutes
Bake: 8-10 minutes
Makes: 24 cookies
-2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
-2/3 cup unsweetened Ghirardelli dark cocoa powder
-1/2 tsp. baking powder
-2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
-1 1/2 cups Sugar
-1 teaspoon vanilla extract
-1/2 tsp salt
-2 large eggs, room temperature
-1/2 cup flour for rolling dough
1. Mix together flour, cocoa, and baking powder in a medium sized bowl until combined. Set aside.
2. Using the paddle attachment in a stand mixer add the butter, sugar, vanilla and salt. Beat until combined and fluffy
3. Add eggs one at a time, mixing until each one is fully incorporated.
4. Add the dry ingredients slowly to the wet mixture. Mix until a dough forms.
5. Cover a cutting board with plastic wrap and place your dough on it.
6. Form the dough into a ball and cover the ball in plastic wrap.
7. Place the dough in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
8. Preheat the oven to 350°F. And take out the chilled dough from the refrigerator.
9. On a large cutting board or counter top, add flour to cover the surface.
10. Remove the dough from the plastic wrap and place on the prepared surface.
11. Using a rolling pin roll the dough to 1/4-inch thickness.
12. Cut your desired shapes using cookie cutters.
13. Place the cookies on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
14. Bake for 8-10 minutes.
15. Remove from the oven, and let the cookies cool for about 5 minutes.
16. Decorate and serve!